Happy New Year! This year the Foundation celebrates its 9th birthday with a spirit of hope and a renewed urgency to achieve our goal of making lung cancer a “Chronically Managed Disease by 2023.” Lung cancer is a global epidemic and it requires a global solution. For the first time I believe that our 2023 goal is possible, achievable and can become a reality. Of course, this cannot be done without major collaboration by all stakeholders, but the good news is that it CAN be done because of advancements being made with new drugs, clinical trials, technology, personalized medicine, patient education, Community Hospital Centers of Excellence, and innovative research.
- There are more New Drugs in the pipeline than ever before and more on the way.
- Clinical Trials are being designed with the patient’s needs in mind from beginning to end. Patient accrual and participation are growing.
- We are using Technology to succeed faster.
- Deep gene sequencing, aka Comprehensive Genomic Profiling, is helping physicians deliver the best possible treatment solutions for each patient’s very personal and unique genetic profile. Personalized Medicine means getting the right drug to the right patient at the right time.
- Our monthly livestreamed Living Room Support Group/Patient Education and Speaker Series has reached more than 145 countries and has had 500,000+ views.
- Our Community Hospital Centers of Excellence are growing rapidly throughout the U.S. allowing patients to have multi-disciplinary treatment closer to home.
- Fundraising has hit an all-time high this year allowing us to fund some major research. The Addario Lung Cancer Medical Institute, ALCF’s partner organization, has participated in and facilitated two studies with partners in academia, with three more potential studies on the table.
AND because our entire team is focused, trained and rapidly delivering the very best in their fields AND our patients are educated, empowered and demanding the best of what the health system has to offer and then some, we are pushing forward toward accomplishing our 2023 goal.
Thank you to our patients, their families, our partners and our donors. We could not have achieved any of this without you.
With much gratitude and love,
“It always seems impossible until it is done” ~ Nelson Mandela
P.S. Scott, Tony and I recently returned from Vienna where we attended the 14th Central European Lung Cancer Conference (CELCC). We were invited to speak to an international audience about Patients Powering Progress and Enacting Change. Through ALCF’s Living Room series, other initiatives and conferences such as CELCC we are giving patients a voice in their future health!